Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Adulthood was animated: Samurai Champloo

My new favorite Anime is Samurai Champloo...One day Esteban let me hold the first dvd..5 episodes..and i fell in love with it for many reasons....NOW!!! It's very very hard for me to get into these 'newer' anime shows....starting off with Dragonball, sets the standard soooooo high.... but... not discredit this amazing show, there ARE a few dragonball-esque elements in it, but that goes for many new anime shows... Now that I'm 16 episodes deep into this 26 episode series...I really get the feeling I'm suppose to get from watching an epic tale like this one..another reason why I think I'm so attached to this show now, is because It's SOOOO hip hop...from the intro, the music, the fighting style, scene transitions....everything about it is hiphop
There is Mugen, the hot headed ronin who loves fighting, cursing, sex, and himself..he's pretty much a selfish douchebag. His fighting style resembles copeira/breakdancing. Jin is a mild-mannered ronin who has respect, honor, and a passion for the martial arts. His fighting style is very traditional. He is one of the very few people who own a pair of glasses in this time period in Japan. Fuu is a 15 year old girl who is quirky, loudmouthed, and is the "glue" of the group. She's often insecure with her looks when being compared to women much older than her..
The story takes place in Japan, during the Edo period (1603-1868). **The fact that this story takes place so long ago was a major plus, modern day stories are cool...but you can really feel the tone of a story done correctly when placed in the past or future** Fuu worked in a tea shop, and one day, a crazy series of events involving strangers Jin and Mugen, *all taking place in the shop** ended up being the result of these three traveling together..Fuu is using Mugen and Jin as bodyguards as they search for the "Samurai who smells like Sunflowers"... A highlight and also Dragonball-esque thing about this story, other than the fact that they are traveling, is that during the dowtime of the story there is much comic relief, but as the story builds throughout each episode it gets very very serious... for the first 6 or 7 eps it's a great show, but feels like its just three people traveling who argue yet have to stay together for trivial reasons...but as the story continues, each one of the characters own stories start to reveal their pasts and why they are the way they are now...It's a beautiful adventure really...I haven't finished yet, but hands down, this is one of the best television shows I've ever seen in my life... One thing I'll say is...music wise, no anime can touch Samurai Champloo... I have ten more episodes to go, and I'm almost sad to see it come to an end soon...but..with this kind of story, you can only go but so far... with DB being about 499 episodes, and Pokemon being well over 6 0r 700 episodes..it's almost a relief to see a series that's short but very sweet...

If you watch this, you'll be able to see a similarity in the relationship between Goku and Vegeta, with Mugen and Jin... the whole "only I can kill you" thing, but deep down they care...

I forgot to mention... THE ANIMATION IS NEAR PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a quick AMV showing some fight scenes...

No comments: